Tuesday, April 24, 2012

WHAT Am I Thinking?!?!?!

We woke up this morning, after an all-nighter of my son puking in the bathroom (tho he's adorable and cuddly when he's sick) and it's a beautiful day outside.  I drive Ginger to the neighborhood school (the one I went to) and see our neighbors pulling up to drop their kids off, kids playing on the playground - that awesome noise - and all of the other fun busy-ness that comes with a small neighborhood elementary school.
It is so cute.  The kids will do great and I'm sure going to miss a lot about the school.  I am also going to miss dropping my daughter off and having time with my son.  I'm going to miss dropping off my daughter and my son and having a shopping/lunch date with a friend.  I'm going to miss volunteering for school parties.  I'm going to miss the Halloween parade and seeing all the kids in their costumes.  I'm going to miss the music performances on the stage.   So many things.  Like I said, I didn't come to homeschooling because I don't like schools.  I LOVE SCHOOLS!!!!  I love teachers! I was public school - hubby was private school - both good. What I love most about it is the social piece. I am a social/relational person;  albeit awkwardly. Even though I had horrific years in Middle School - well, 7th grade mainly, I had so many more fun years.  Granted, I made some hilariously bad decisions - but overall - I have such a fondness for the potential for my kids there.
I feel like I'm leaving my country and yet still living here.  Weird.  Weird.  I'm going to be weirder in my community than I already am.  My kids are going to be the "homeschool" kids.
I was SO glad to know that I can enroll Ginger in the neighborhood school for Art and Music class, and she can stay for recess with her friends there.  That is amazing flexibility and I'm so grateful to the district and the principal for arranging for that.  I think it'd be too hard to just cut it off completely and this will be great for Ginger to keep in touch with friends in a new yet familiar way.
I am looking forward to reading the next chapter in my book so that I'll get some encouragement.  It was funny, one of the passages I read was about how schooled kids' (public or private) parents don't like to hear about homeschooling because of the elitist attitude the hs parents have.  I think I'll just be jealous of the schooled kids' parents and sheepishly change the subject if it comes up.  I don't like homeschool parents either. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I remember going to a home school seminar down in the springs for Christian parents and I had the same thoughts. I thought, I am way more fun and political than these women who don't wear makeup but do wear house dresses. UGH. But you make it your own, darling friend. My kids loved getting homeschooled (especially Luke) and you'll find other cool moms like you who homeschool and you'll get together for the social stuff. Rock on, sister!

    ReplyDelete