Monday, February 6, 2017

Haute Homeschooling 101 - A guide to Independent Education
Patience not required.
 This is More than a Survival Guide, a Thrival Guide.
 Bring me your curious and your thirsty and your scared and your unsure and your broken.

So, you are curious about "homeschooling" your children?  I'm sure there are as many reasons for that as there are stars in the sky.  You can read this book and you will not be overwhelmed.  You will not need to purchase denim jumpers & lace doily collars.  You do not have to hate the system and you do not have to fear the world.  You do not have to be naturally patient or naturally gifted at teaching anything.  You don't even have to like learning yourself, because that will come later, as a byproduct of the process.
No matter how much prep you do or don't do, you will not find yourself completely equipped.  However, you will feel encouraged.  Meaning, en-couraged.  Infused with courage and hope and curiosity. 
Education as it is in the United States right now is suffering for many reasons.  There are also many wonderful things about it.  For as many articles as there are about apathetic teachers, lack of funds loss of programming, there are incredible teachers out there.  There are incredible schools, principles, teacher trainers and the like that eat-sleep-and-breathe their passion for instilling and inspiring creative, critical minds that will be able to research, discover, consume, digest, analyze & teach information.  There are wonderful, innovative programs that schools are spearheading to mold young ones into tech-savvy engineers who can take us to Mars and beyond.  There is no one-size-fits-all.  There is no benefit in condemning a system, only in taking responsibility for a solution.  Your unique solutionSometimes, that solution is to approach Education in a far different manner than before.  I see the world of education - even mass education - changing.  There is a discontent and yet a hesitancy to make the leap into independent education.
Our family opted for homeschooling not from a perspective of where schools were failing - but that we had the flexibility and the curiosity became more exciting than the fear of the unknown and the fear of knowing that I was to be the primary "teacher." 
I have never been a "teacher" in a formal education setting.
I NEVER thought I would homeschool - never met a homeschooler before 10 years ago and was ready to drop my kids with a nanny/daycare/whatever so I could then go back to school or work.
finish Journey of going from public montessori to homeschool.
But I started getting the "nudge" - you know, when God is trying to get your attention, it seems that little nudges begin.  We met a client that homeschooled.  They invited us for dinner.  I vowed never to be like that.  I met a woman from Africa who homeschooled at the Library - ok, she was awesome.  I could homeschool if I moved to Africa.  My parents met a family that homeschooled that traveled all over the world.  I could homeschool if I traveled all over the world.  One of my friends began to homeschool her boys - we've known each other since before we were married.  She didn't die after the first year of homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment